This is a multi-stage project. The first step was to remove old tile and replace it, matching the rest of the tile on the bathroom walls. The next step will be to put in a new tile floor in the bathroom.
Here is the wall after I had already removed the pink tile and a wall full of the brown glue you see in this photo.
Bathroom wall after new tile was installed. We opted to wait for the baseboard tiles till the floor had been done.
A Home In White Bear Lake
This house is probably the most extensive group of projects I've done yet.
The couple built this house in the early 90's and had paid a great deal of attention to the architectural details which give the house an "old farmhouse" look.
They raised three children in the house and after the three of them moved out they were ready to repurpose the kids bedrooms and to complete a few concepts they had loved when they originally built the house.
They had a DIY approach to building their home and to many of the finishing details over the years. When they decided that they no longer enjoyed spending every weekend working on home improvement projects they hired me to work through room by room to create spaces where they could feel both inspired and relaxed while enjoying their empty nest.
This room had been a nursery at one point but when I started this project it was being used as a combination home office and craft room. It was not serving either purpose very well.
White Bear Lake Guest Room - after
Believe it or not, this is the same room! I painted and rearranged, moving most of what was being kept into the newly designated office and craft rooms (see below). The art on the walls they already had, it had been rolled up in a poster tube in the basement for years. The client was delighted to finally have a place to display these treasured items.
A 2nd level laundry! There were a few organizational concerns in this room, the walls and ceiling needed painting and along with the changes we were making they also purchased a new washer.
This bedroom saw two teenagers grow up and when the youngest headed to college he left it as you see here. This is the room we chose for the new home office.
After removing the old furniture, repairing a body sized dent in the wall (teenage roughhousing), painting, shopping for new furniture and pulling some pieces out of storage... Here it is! A home office, complete with a small sitting area. The client was especially excited about the gallery wall (another picture below) where many prints she had purchased in Europe more than 30 years ago finally found a home on the walls. We used coordinating gold and white frames for the collection. Additional points of interest in this room, we replaced all of the faceplates and vent covers with decorative brass to match the light fixture and door hardware, we also installed a frosted glass door in order to allow light into the hallway while still keeping the office door closed.
Just a plain white hallway... not for long!
Here you can see the hallway repainted, the new color really emphasizes the beautiful woodwork. In this image you can also see the glass door to the office at the end of he hall.
A front "airlock" space that needed a refresh.
A Home in Minnetonka
This project involved removing wallpaper in both the master bathroom and dressing room, then replacing the vanity top and plumbing, painting, installing new fixtures and a few decorative details.
The client had decorated the bath and dressing room in the early 80's and while the materials and colors were still lovely, she was ready for a change.
I first painted the bathroom a peachy tan color, but the client decided that she didn't really like the color after all, so we switched to gray in the middle of the project.
One of my favorite parts of this project was covering the door of the medicine cabinet. It was originally covered in the same paper as the dressing room walls but rather than painting the door to match the gray walls, I suggested that we use a store bought painting that she liked to cover the door of the cabinet.
Minnetonka bathroom before
Goodbye lovely floral and metallic wallpaper!
Vanity area before...
A fun detail, I replaced the face of the clock, shown here, as the client loved the exterior frame of this clock but didn't care for the face, numbers or hands.
New plumbing to go with the new vanity top!
Vanity and medicine cabinet before...
In this picture you can see the peachy color we started with, through the bathroom door.
Here you can see the medicine cabinet door covered with the floral painting.
A bowl full of river rock holds all of the bathroom necessities neatly off of the counter, and it's easy to clean!
A Home in Merriam Park
A Home in Cathedral Hill
This was just a little painting job. A small storage room at the bottom of the stairs needed painting. The client had already selected a lovely blue color and had me paint the trim and the door white.
A Home in Saint Louis Park
This project was a lot of fun. During our initial meeting the client walked me into this mid-century bathroom and said "I'm sick of this, I just want you to make it different".
The bathroom started with blue/purple and white walls and a shimmery lavender shower curtain. I suggested that gray might be a nice change and would allow her some flexibility in making decorating changes in the future.
She agreed. I chose two different shades of gray and a warm white. I also scraped out the caulk/grout around the edge of the tub and recaulked the area. While I was working on painting, the client selected a new toilet paper holder which I also installed.